Independent Consultant (Current)
- Arts writing and editing; artistic coaching; meeting facilitation; training and facilitation of Liz Lerman’s Critical Response Process.
Liz Lerman Dance Exchange subsequently Dance Exchange, Takoma Park, Maryland
Senior Advisor (2011-2015); Humanities Director (2000-2011); Director of Development (1993-2000)
- Authored and served as lead writer/editor on grant proposals, publications, marketing materials, fundraising appeals, websites, promotional videos.
- Secured and administered major grants from private and government sources, providing liaison to funder staff through the full cycle from inquiry to proposal to reporting and grant deliverables.
- Co-conceived and authored print, online, and video communication projects to document and disseminate Dance Exchange’s unique methods for choreography, community-building and dialogue, often working in close collaboration with Artistic Director Liz Lerman and other company artists.
- Guided evaluation of major education and audience engagement initiatives, collaborating with contracted assessment specialists on research strategy and survey design, with an eye to making the survey process integral to the artistic experience.
- Coordinated partnership projects between innovative contemporary dance company and universities, museums, and arts presenters, engaging cross-disciplinary perspectives and arts/humanities/science collaboration.
- Developed teaching and engagement processes for Liz Lerman’s Critical Response Process, a widely-used four-step method for facilitated feedback on artistic work-in-progress; coauthored the book that serves as the primary text for this method.
- Designed and facilitated public and student-focused workshops and panels at university residency sites and Dance Exchange headquarters, addressing such topics as creative practice, arts-based research, the art/faith connection, and constructive critique.
- Currently advise organizational leadership during its current post-founder phase of growth, while continuing to perform many of the above functions.
The Pennsylvania Opera Theater, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Education Administrator/Marketing Associate (1993)
- Coordinated in-schools education program, managed marketing, developed press kits.
The Washington Bach Consort, Washington, DC
Assistant to the General Manager (1992-93)
- Coordinated marketing, publications, and audience development projects.
Central City Opera, Central City, Colorado
Public Relations Assistant/Summer Staff (Summer 1992)
- Developed PR and marketing materials; coordinated onsite press relations at festival venue; ushered.
FIDIA Research Foundation, Washington, DC
Art Director/Publications Specialist (1990-92)
- Designed and coordinated production for veterinary and neuroscience publications.
RII/TRITON, Inc. Silver Spring, Maryland
Senior Graphics Editor (1986-90)
- Designed and coordinated production on U.S. Government health publications.
The Kids on the Block, Alexandria, Virginia
Puppet Maker (1982-86)
- Crafted a line of puppets that teach children about disabilities and diversity issues.
The Chronicle of Higher Education, Washington, DC
Assistant to the Business Manager (1979-81)
- Accounts receivable and subscriber services.